Last week a baby video went viral. Two little twin boys babbled at each other. Back and forth they went with a lively conversation “Da! Da! Da! Da!” Though unintelligible, they both were excited to talk to each other. I couldn’t hep but think of the conversation that goes back and forth about whether you should publish, or self-publish. There’s a lot of energy but not a lot of signal getting through.
The answer to the question of whether you should self-publish depends on the “you”.
Are you prepared to think of yourself as more than a hobbyist? Are you intimidated by new and unknown practices so much that you’re frozen? Do you prefer that others take care of things for you without you hiring them? Do you have any financial cushion? Are you prepared to take a chance? What is your real tolerance for risk? What is your tolerance for some people underestimating your work’s worth because you went your own way. Are you open to learning what you don’t yet know and ready to be a beginner?
There are a plethora of other factors to consider, but first and foremost, it’s about you. Some people just aren’t interested in entrepreneurship. That’s not a judgment. Starting a business is not for everyone. You have to have a lot of discipline and interest in things beyond simply writing a good book (and god knows there’s nothing simple about that.)
Ask yourself, do you really want to do this?
We’ll have better self-published books when more authors ask themselves this question first. Why? Because they won’t just be self-publishers and the negative things that currently implies. We’ll have more publishers who happen to be publishing themselves.
- ‘Twin Babies Having a Conversation’ Video Explained (livescience.com)
- Self-Publishing : Wave of the Future? (cjsandspot.wordpress.com)
- Writers: Do you have time to get published? And can we dump the “self” from publishing? (chazzwrites.wordpress.com)
- The Wall: musings on self-publishing (writtenwings.wordpress.com)
- The Amanda Hocking Effect: She didn’t sell out. Trad publishing bought in. (chazzwrites.wordpress.com)
- Writers: TOP 10 Objections to Self-Publishing (chazzwrites.wordpress.com)
- Writers: Are you skeptical about self-publishing? (chazzwrites.wordpress.com)
- Are you sure about that? 6 things to consider before self-publishing (emlynchand.com)
- An Epic Fail for Self Publishing (writingandpub.wordpress.com)