Last night I shook hands and had a chat with Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob for those not in the cult). Each now have a signed copy of my book, Self-help for Stoners. They couldn’t have been more gracious, interested, warm or friendly. It was a big moment for me, especially when Kevin recognized the book and said, “Hey! I know you!”
Each got a personalized recommendation for stories they might particularly like from Self-help and it was a genuine pleasure all around. We laughed a lot. As always, of course, Kevin spoke inspired and inspiring words about writing and the creative process.
I’m a bit emotional today. It was a milestone in the evolution, not just of the book, but for me taking the leap to writing full-time. It was just over a year ago that I decided I needed to “stop chasing the puck” and quit my job of twenty years. Things went full circle last night. And now? Onward. Three novels are coming out this year with my name on them. Hoo-ha!
I must make this writing thing work.
- ‘Kevin Smith: Live From Behind Featuring “Jay and Silent Bob Get Old” ‘ info – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- Kevin Smith: Live From Behind Hits Movie Theaters Nationwide For First-Time Live Audience Interactive Event (prweb.com)
- Live From Behind, Kevin Smith Hosts Unique Live Jay And Silent Bob Podcast Event (laughingsquid.com)
- Jay & Silent Bob strike up a conversation, on a podcast near you (arts.nationalpost.com)
- How Kevin Smith Changed My Life (chazzwrites.wordpress.com)