I’ve thanked the usual suspects for their contributions privately in emails and publicly on my acknowledgements and dedication pages for all my books. With that attitude of gratitude well established, I’m going to take some liberty with the Author Blog Challenge writing prompt to acknowledge (not thank) a few of the elements that have contributed to my books:
1. Thanks to the elite secret military organization in which I attained the rank of Commander at the age of six. I kept talking to myself in the mirror, and addressing myself as Commander, until my late 20s. Hey, I grew up in a small town. Whatever gets you through the tough times. More despair = more talking to myself.
2. Thanks to the bullies who fuelled my revenge fantasies. My work is full of a lot of revenge fantasy and you started me on the path. Sorry about those groin injuries, boys.
4. Thanks to the small town in which I grew up. In my fiction, you are Poeticule Bay, Maine. You can sample my small-town claustrophobia in The Dangerous Kind & Other Stories, coming out this week on Amazon. The town almost becomes a character in the Poeticule Bay stories. A bad character.
5. To my third grade teacher. I murdered you in my mind a thousand times. After the first couple of hundred delightful excursions in blood and righteousness, I explored more clever and fantastic ways to achieve a satisfactory death for you. Now in my fiction, people sometimes die in unorthodox ways. In death, you contributed to literature in a lasting way that you never equalled in your role as a teacher.
7. Thanks to Sadness. When I told my mother I was depressed at age thirteen, she replied, “You are not!” (Loop back to #6.)
8. Thanks to Sex, Movies, Books and TV, which broke me out of that awful #6/#7 loop.
9. Thanks to Fear, you ugly son of a bitch. Go ahead. Keep chasing me. You are my motivation.
10. Thank you to all my enemies. I will crush you in everlasting literature. If I haven’t gotten around to you yet, wait. You are on The List. Buy my books and keep an eye out for clues.
- Author Blog Challenge Writing Prompt: Describe how the idea for your book first came to you (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge: I love the voices in my head (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge 18: The Top Ten Reasons You (yes! You!) crave this book (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge 12: How to not write your book (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge (plus a sneak peek podcast*): Outlining, pantsing, spilling & sprinting (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge 21: My Top 20 Best (Worst?) Advice for Authors (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge 17: How to talk with your graphic designer about your book cover (chazzwrites.com)
- Author Blog Challenge: In 12 hours, Bigger Than Jesus (chazzwrites.com)
- PODCAST: The First Fiction Friday Edition (allthatchazz.com)