I’m currently adding a scene to This Plague of Days in which Queen Elizabeth’s Corgis get fed to rampaging zombies as an appetizer before the main (royal) course. As I move through the day, fueled by coffee and rage, I stop to take care of details: Fun details, critical details, tiny details. Here’s the last few days:
1. Sent uncorrected ARCs of This Plague of Days Episode 1 to a bunch of people. The early reviews are happy ones.
2. Published a new Cool People Podcast. I interviewed Renee Pawlish about her strategies for writing and selling books. Good stuff and of particular interest if you read this blog regularly.
3. Updated several plugins across my five blogs, but the change to the Image Rotator Widget screwed up so the covers of my books were displayed in too huge a fashion. Sigh.
4. Sent off a couple more suggestions to Kit, graphic designer extraordinaire, for promotional T-shirts, prizes and giveaways. I plan to sell the shirts in the future, too. Fun, dark and brilliant designs by my man Kit. I knew he was great at book covers. He’s got an impressive flair for t-shirt designs, too. (Hint: hire him for your next book cover, website header, Zazzle product, etc.,…)
5. Commented on some blogs on a few Facebook posts and blogs of interest. Posted to my own blogs. (There are five now. I post to DecisionToChange.com almost daily.)
6. Wrote several new scenes for This Plague of Days and posted some excerpts as teasers. A novel is slightly different from a serial. I’m a teasing, surprising, cliffhanger guy anyway, but to keep the readers moving from one episode to the next, I added new material for extra punch.
7. I recorded a new All That Chazz podcast. I have to edit it and publish it later this weekend since that’s behind schedule. Sickness and book launch prep has eaten into my podcast time, but something had to give.
8. Emailed back and forth with future guests on the Cool People Podcast. People are asking to be on, so it’s picking up.
9. Did some promotions on Vine and performed an experimental giveaway with Murders Among Dead Trees. Hit #34 in free on Amazon on the short story collection list with one day of promotion. Lessons learned: Get a higher profile on Vine and post more often. Most of the people who picked up the freebie came through my friends on Facebook.
10. Did some research on book sales and picked up Chuck Sambuchino’s new book Create Your Writing Platform. I also listened to the Self-Publishing Podcast in which the hosts believe free on Amazon is dead (as is the 99-cent price point.)
Bonus 1: I just learned that the plural is Corgis, not “Corgies”.
Bonus 2: I learned a blog post about publishing with the word “enema” in the title, gets a lot of traffic.
How about it? Is free dead to you? Does 99 cents mean the book is inexpensive or just crap? The guys on the Self-Publishing Podcast advised putting your stuff out on all platforms. I’d feel better about that if the other platforms sold more and had a more active review culture. What do you think?
And now back to edits with The Little Things by Danny Elfman as my soundtrack…
- Ugly side effects of healthy eating (decisiontochange.com)
- Book Launch Prep: Funnels, marketing, and tap dancing as fast as I can (chazzwrites.com)
- I believe (but I’m not a belieber) (allthatchazz.com)
- Jerks, Near-Death, Time Travel and Alternate Reality (allthatchazz.com)
- A lighter quote from This Plague of Days (thisplagueofdays.com)
- This Plague of Days: The Serial. The Novel. (The Movie?) (thisplagueofdays.com)
- A tiny excerpt of This Plague of Days from today’s revisions (thisplagueofdays.com)
- The Art of This Plague of Days (thisplagueofdays.com)
- Write! Like a Boss! (chazzwrites.com)
- Book Marketing: Problems and Solutions (chazzwrites.com)