What’s Vine? It’s video Twitter. Make a six-second movie and spread your word. I’m all over this and I’m telling you now as your fellow author and good buddy, get in early. Not a lot of authors are there yet, so join me, join the fun and build your platform, too. It’s a fun tool and toy. We need tools like this to muster more promo mojo and muscle our way into minds. I’ll explain why we need Vine to build our book cults.
I’ve used Vine so far to let people know about my podcast and books, but also just to let people know I can be witty in six-second bites. I hope they’ll conclude I’m worth more of their time in other media. (Oh, and not for nothin’, the new free All That Chazz podcast is gripping. The What’s Uncool Edition is available to your ears here and now.)
Why video? Video and audio are easier for people to consume than books. Yes, there are still actual readers out there, but to stick a barbed hook in an eyeball, we have to reach out to them where they are. If rabid video consumers aren’t already readers, don’t complain. Convert them to your cult.
I expect objections from a few.
There’s a neo-Luddite reflex in many authors that says:
1. “I shouldn’t have to do this!”
Waaah! I don’t want to floss, either. However, I like my teeth. Besides, if you do it right, marketing and promotion can actually be fun and productive.
2. “Here’s another piece of technology that takes us away from books!”
Here’s another piece of technology to attract new readers to your books.
3. “Video is the death of literature!”
Video is another medium. People who really love reading books will still make time for reading books.
4. “Real book lovers won’t be watching six-second video loops of cats playing.”
Have you ever met a bibliophile? Your demographic loves cats to the point it may be unhealthy. “Real” book lovers have varied interests because, mostly, they’re intelligent.
5. “This is yet another promotional thing to spam and annoy people.”
Not if you’re clever and fun. (Are you saying you aren’t clever and fun? Get off my blog! You can’t possibly be a friend or fan of mine!)
6. “I don’t know…sounds hard.”
Check it out. It’s easy, intuitive and took the shortest time to set up than anything else I’ve ever set up. Vine is definitely worth the minor time investment and it’s free. You will need an iPad, iPhone or iPod. I use an iPod because it’s the cheapest option that makes my life better. If I couldn’t do that, I’d borrow an Apple device from a friend once a week for a few minutes.
7. “But how will people find it?”
It not only works like Twitter, it’s integrated with Twitter and Facebook.
8. “But what can you do in only six seconds?”
Remember when I told you the story about the editor who said of Twitter, “I can’t say anything of value in 140 characters.” Translation: She was telling the world she was a lousy editor. Lots of people manage it so we can, too.
9. “I heard Vine is just filled with porn.”
They had issues with pornography but Apple made Vine’s developers scrub it. That end of the story got a lot of media coverage as Vine launched. That was last week. That data is out of date.
10. “I’m already on too many social media and can’t take the time.”
To the second point, it’s six seconds. You can spare six seconds. (Okay, maybe it takes me a minute and six seconds to get it right and post it.)
We call them platforms because that’s where we climb up to speak to a larger crowd. Do it and, if you’re tragically unsexy like me, do what I do and let puppets do the talking.
As soon as you download the app and get set up, find me, follow me and show me your videos. It will be great to put voices and faces to all of you. Without video, I’m just imagining you’re all lingerie-clad Angelina Jolies, Joan Chens and Beyonces. Even the guys. Especially the guys.
~ Robert Chazz Chute writes suspense, crime novels, quirky self-help fiction and writing and publishing guides. He’s wearing a black fedora and flannel pajamas right now. With cartoon moose on those pjs, ladies! He also hosts the All That Chazz podcast.
- What Is “Vine”? (fox2now.com)
- Will the “Vine” start to grow on Journalist? (drakej70.wordpress.com)
- 9 Things We’d Change About Vine (mashable.com)
- Vine’s 6-Second Video Loops: The New 140-Character Tweet? (fishandbicycles.com)
- Why I Like Twitter’s Vine App (livinglocurto.com)
- After Its Porn Problem, Twitter-Owned Vine Adds 17+ Age Rating To Video Sharing App (techcrunch.com)
- Why Vine will be as revolutionary as Twitter was (theweek.com)
- Vine app for iOS, waiting game for Android (phonesreview.co.uk)
- Vine Ripened – Twitter’s New Six Second Video App (vergenewmedia.com)