After reading the book descriptions, someone sent me a question:
“What are your books like?”
“Suspense that’s often funny with lots of twists,” I said.
“Yeah, but what are they like?”
Um…what? I wasn’t sure what they were getting at, so I replied via email.
If you like:
the twists of William (The Princess Bride) Goldman’s plots;
the fast pace of a Blake (Run) Crouch;
the worldview of Chuck (Fight Club) Palahniuk;
the punchy, funny dialogue of Elmore (Get Shorty) Leonard;
and the disappointed humanism of Kurt (I shouldn’t have to name any Kurt Vonnegut books! Read them all!) Vonnegut,
then you’ll love my crime novel Bigger Than Jesus. Enjoy!
My potential reader/interrogator then wrote, “I’m not familiar with any of those books so don’t tell me about them. Tell me what your book is like!”
I sighed and then I fired off another helpful email:
“Don’t you love chocolate chip cookies when they’re straight out of the oven? The chocolate is melting a bit and you risk burning your tongue because you can hardly wait. These are the best-tasting chocolate chip cookies ever. You force yourself to slow down and put one in your mouth. It’s really soft and you just hold it there as long as you can to savour it while you pour a tall, cold glass of milk? Then the kitchen floor falls out from under you and you’re sucked down into quicksand and you’re trying not to die and you can’t figure out why God hates you and all you want is to get away and make the woman of your dreams love you. You only have seconds before the suffocating sludge is over your head and you’re about to find out if what follows this tortured life is hell or oblivion. Your heart is full of regret and if you can just live, you swear you’ll turn your life around. Kind of like that, but with more jokes.”
No reply yet, but I’m guessing he’s not a reader, anyway.
If they do email again, I’ll suggest they consider breaking down and read a sample chapter.
~This is post #3 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge. To find out more about books by Robert Chazz Chute, check out the author site AllThatChazz.com or check out the free sample chapters on Amazon. Thanks!
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Eight Tips on How to Write a Good Short Story (openculture.com)
- Chocolate Chip Recipe & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (williams-sonoma.com)
- Ultimate Blog Challenge: Can you blog a book? Sure you can. (chazzwrites.com)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies (twolittlechefettes.wordpress.com)
- The shape of stories, by Kurt Vonnegut [infographic] (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Eight Rules for Writing Fiction by Kurt Vonnegut (mattswritingcorner.wordpress.com)
- Fit for a Professional Cookie Monster (missrenaissance.com)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies… with a Twist (ibringsunshine.wordpress.com)
- The 5 Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes Ever (collegecandy.com)
- Why You Should Eat Cherry Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies; A Cookie for a Cause (befitwithkristen.com)
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (bluepaintchip.wordpress.com)
- The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (healthymoderation.com)